RE: [OPE] Fwd: How to read Capital

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2008 - 07:17:38 EDT

Paul
"My view is that the social division of labour involves a situation where
different people work for substantial periods on different tasks and become
skilled in these: weavers, potters, carpenters etc as such it predates the
separation of labour from the means of production."

Dogan
        This is usually described as technical division of labour rather than
        social division labour.
Paul in reply
           In that case what is your social division of labour? The separation
           of the producers from the means of production is not a division
           of labour. The division of society into wage labourers and
           capitalists is not a social division of labour, since the point being
           a capitalist is not to labour yourself but get others to do it for you.
Paul
"A social division of labour can exist under multiple different relations
of prodution, some of which are commodity producing ones and some not."
       Dogan
        Fine, but we are talking about modern form of social division of labour.

Paul in reply
            Since when? We were originally talking about your dialectical derivation
            of capitalist social relations from the usevalue exchange value distinction.
            You went from that to say that commodity production implied the social
            division of labour and thus the separation of the producers from the
            means of production.

            When I say that this was not necessarily the case historically, you then
            say that you are talking about modern capitalist social division of labour.
            But this modern capitalist social division of labour was what you were
            initially trying to infer from the commodity. This is what I mean by sleight
            of hand in dialectical argument, a conclusion is drawn that is not supported
            by the stated premises, but can only be supported by unstated premises.