Re: [OPE] Dialectics for the New Century

From: Dave Zachariah (davez@kth.se)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2008 - 18:11:47 EDT

on 2008-04-04 15:03 GERALD LEVY wrote:
> Consider the logic of social psychology. I don't think that logic can
> be reduced to just formulae. I think that any progressive psychologist
> would agree. Consider the logic of social movements and class struggle.
> I don't think that logic can be reduced to formulae.

I think we are using 'logic' somewhat different here. I suppose what you
mean is causal laws or mechanisms of social psychology, class struggle
etc. They have empirically testable content.

I was speaking of logic proper, as a in 'logical system', which is a
formal language and a set of axioms and rules from which one deduces
statements. Since you were referring to 'dialectical logic' in the
original post I was interested in what precisely this means: Does it
exist and if so, how does one go about to construct it (are there modern
texts that does this)? If it can be expressed in words then it can be
expressed in strings of symbols too.

//Dave Z