Re: [OPE] Diversity and Unity

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@buffalo.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 14:25:35 EDT

Dogan,

Actually I wasn't asking about Leibniz, Smith, Hegel, Marx and Luxemburg.
Rather, I was asking a simpler question.  When you refer to "any approach
that does not see unity in diversity tends to be dogmatic" I wanted to know
what does "unity in diversity" MEAN.  I see a tree out of my window (not
being visually impaired), while eating a banana from Central America (not
an orange from Israel), working on a Dell computer (not on parchment).
What does 'unity' in this diversity mean?  What is being conveyed that is
meaningful, that helps me understand?  Why should I care at all about a
'unity' in the diversity of seeing a tree, eating a banana, while working
on the computer?

It seems to me that if you reply that you are not talking about such types
of diversity and therefore a 'unity' around this example is meaningless,
then I anticipate we would get into a real logical problem.

Paul