Re: [OPE] Diversity and Unity

From: dogangoecmen@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 03:29:40 EDT

 Paul,

Sorry. I did not want to frustrate you, if that was the case. Your question was referring to my sentence below and put down what I had in mind when I put down the sentence. It was rather theoretical I admit. But issue is the same with your "simpler question".  Your question is not as simple as you mean. In your examples of seeing, eating and working you are establishing each time a highly complex issue of subject-object relations. To keep it "simpler" lets take your example of seeing a tree. (The example with tree occurs in the first chapter of Hegel's Phenomenology of Sprit by the way.) You say "I see a tree out of my window (not being visually impaired)...". (Window example is used by Adam Smith in his The Theory of Moral Sentiments to refer to relativity of seeing things - each time if you change your position you would see the tree out of your window from a different angel.) You say "I see a tree out of my window (not being visually impaired)...". This is a very good example to explain what I mean. Thank you very much for giving this example. The unity in diversity lies in this example in "a tree". When you say "a" you refer to a particular tree, implying that there are many other particular trees. But when you say 'TREE' you refer to the NATURE of that one tree and herewith you link it to many other trees and you establish thereby a class of objects by referring to their nature. In short, in your example "a" refers to diversity and "tree" to unity: "a tree" refers to diversity and unity at the same time. Similar with your "a banana" and "a Dell computer". "a Dell" implies that there are many other Dell computers . But "Dell" implies that these computers can be reduced to some certain unifying features that are different from all sorts of other classes of computers. So if you say "computer" you imply that there are many other classes of computer: hp, Siemens and so on. So these examples show that we refer always to particular and universal, diversity and unity at the same time. That was one of the debates between Hume and Smith. Hume said when we say horse we refer to just one particular horse. Smith showed that we refer at the same to the unity of that particular horse with its species. In conclusion unity and diversity is founded in all things we refer. Our methodological approach has to account for this ontological condition of the world.

Lets make it a bit complexer: if you say seeing, eating, working you establish a relationship (unity) between you and tree, banana and computer. But you establish also a relationship with many other things on object side: "a tree" not a car for example, a banana not a orange, on a Dell computer not on any other computer or on any other THING. But with your examples you establish also a relationship on the side of subject between various forms of actions. If say I see a tree you say at the same time that you do not hear but see, you do not smell but hear. When you say I work you say I do not swim but work and so on. You see we can go on and on......... So I hope that makes sense.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity by your further investigation to explain.....

Dogan