Re: [OPE] Jane D'Arista on international Keynesian reformism

From: Patrick Bond (pbond@mail.ngo.za)
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 14:58:57 EDT

Jurriaan Bendien wrote:

> "To build a new global social contract, the underlying logic of the
> international financial system must be radically altered.

I was able to pay tribute to Jane on Friday, in spite of the fact that
the prevailing adverse power balances make her proposal for a new social
contract and Keynesian ICU appear far-fetched.

Still, we have to join the top-down with the bottom-up, I'd want to
argue. Here's the abstract and intro; the full paper's available from
pbond@mail.ngo.za if anyone wants.

Beyond Third World Debt Crisis:
Financial Volatility and Social Power from the Bottom Up

by Patrick Bond
Director, Centre for Civil Society and Research Professor, School of
Development Studies
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa

Presented to the Conference on the Political Economy of Monetary Policy
and Financial Regulation,
in honor of Jane D'Arista

Political Economy Research Institute (PERI)
Gordon Hall, 418 N. Pleasant Street
University of Massachusetts, Amherst

Abstract
The global economy’s vast financial sector expansion – in the context of
productive sector stagnation tendencies - has increased the leading
powerbrokers' capacity to devalue large parts of the Third World
(including major emerging market sites), as well as to write down
selected financially volatile and vulnerable markets in the North (e.g.
dot.com and real estate bubbles). In contrast to the 1930s, this set of
partial write-downs of overaccumulated financial capital has not yet
created such generalized panic and crisis contagion as to threaten the
entire system's integrity. Shifting and stalling the necessary
devalorization of overaccumulated capital, particularly as it bubbles up
via financial sectors into speculative markets, has entailed spatial and
temporal fixes. In addition, extra-economic coercion has intensified,
including gendered and environmental stresses. The result is a world
economy that concentrates wealth and poverty in more extreme ways,
geographically, and brings markets and the non-market spheres of society
and nature together, but in a manner adverse to the latter. Reform of
the system is long overdue, and Jane D'Arista's ideas for revitalized
multilateral financial institutions, particularly following Keynes'
International Clearing Union proposal, are worth revisiting. However,
what good ideas 'from above' require for consideration are extremely
powerful movements 'from below', whose own notions of global justice are
already generating organic campaigns that disempower global capital, and
build transnational links to movements. In a context of severe bias in
multilateral financial and development agencies, amounting to a
neoliberal-neoconservative fusion, the inability of reform at the global
scale and the constrained space and political will at national level in
most states compel us to consider the exercise of social power from
below, against the worst depredations of oppression, which are often
experienced through the financial circuit of capital. From below,
grassroots reactions – especially, strategies for decommodification and
'deglobalisation of capital' – should become the basis for more serious
strategizing, if we are to better ground a global movement for financial
democratization.

***

So the burden of reform devolves to others - those diverse voices around
the world who are uniting now in a movement to challenge the
corporate-capitalist version of globalization. These active citizens, of
course, have very little power to change things themselves, except their
intelligence and spirit, plus an ability to arouse the broader public.
This new international movement understands that the maladies of global
finance go deeper than recurring crises and the danger of a total
breakdown. For decades, the poorer countries have lived with harsh
dictation from global capital about what economic plans their
governments may or may not pursue in behalf of citizens, with brutal
discipline if they stray. The cheerleaders describe this as
globalization's 'golden straitjacket' - follow our orders, and we will
make you rich (someday, but people in most societies are learning that
the consequences for humanity are often quite leaden. Some people do get
rich, of course, or gain wage incomes. But as millions learned in
Southeast Asia, their escape from poverty was a temporary thing, hostage
to the anxieties of distant investors who are oblivious to their
individual efforts and aspirations.
William Greider, 'Time to Rein in Global Finance'
The Nation magazine, April 24, 2000

Introduction

I am second to none in offering admiration for Jane D'Arista's
contributions to analysis of so many economic and especially financial
phenomena. Her far-sightedness was especially stunning in an area I
briefly worked with her on in 1986, the Third World debt. Much has
happened in this area since that time, including dubious debt relief
programs and amplified uneven development between regions of the South.
But because, as D'Arista would agree, the Third World debt which emerged
as an acute crisis in 1982 and has never ceased its harm, is a symptom
of deeper economic imbalances, we have to spend some time at the outset
establishing context, in both 'economic' and 'political' spheres. Only
then can we properly proceed to consideration of D'Arista's global
financial reform proposals to assess their feasibility, and then onwards
to an alternative strategy – 'bottom up' - with the same aims as
D'Arista but based upon different readings of the balance of forces and
hence of the impetus for genuine reform.

There is no doubt that financial volatility remains central to the way
global markets are developing, and that such volatility constrains
economic, social, political and environmental progress in the Third
World. The grounding of volatility as a symptom of deeper economic
tensions also requires setting the stage politically. These are the main
objectives of the second section.

Having done so, the third section allows us to consider two half-hearted
and one visionary approach to global financial reform, from above.
First, the status quo processes of the Monterrey Financing for
Development agenda in 2002 led in 2005 to G7 finance ministers offering
sufficient debt relief as to keep borrowers – especially in Africa -
paying both large downpayments and high rates of export earnings.
However, the experience of such extreme Northern domination through the
International Monetary Fund was the main reason for Latin American
countries (and a few others) repaying the IMF early, threatening its own
revenue streams. With these divergent forces at work, there was very
little on offer in multilateral reform. Second, at least one country,
Norway, made some tentative steps forward (e.g. to defunding the World
Bank due to its water privatization fetish, and to canceling earlier
corrupt shipping loans), but these were half-hearted and contradictory.
Third, we can turn to a much clearer agenda for reform, by D'Arista in
1999, as amplified by William Greider in his stirring call, at the
outset. But no constituency for this project was built during the
crucial early 2000s, as the Jubilee movement's weak Northern base and
militant but strong Southern group found themselves marginalized, and as
the rest of the global justice movement addressed issues not immediately
concerned with finance.

What might break the deadlock? The fourth section suggests that an
approach more respectful of deep-seated popular challenges to
commodification and globalization has enormous potential. Cases include
the challenge to multinational corporate power in the sphere of AIDS
medicines patents and reparations for past 'Odious Debts' to regimes
like apartheid. In the sphere of consumer finance, we turn to
experiences as diverse yet interrelated as the SA township 'bond
boycott' and Mexico's 'El Barzon' movements. Finally, aiming again at
global financial governance, activists' World Bank Bonds Boycott
strategy, especially powerful during the early 2000s, is another way to
disempower some of the most dysfunctional aspects of global finance (the
Bretton Woods Institutions), and instead empower investors to do
something more useful with their resources. Fusing D'Arista's ideas from
above, with these from below, would be one way forward for a strategic
discussion, aimed at democratizing finance.

FULL AVAILABLE: pbond@mail.ngo.za