RE: [OPE] A conference on the Grundrisse at the University of Bergamo, July 2008

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@unibg.it)
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 09:23:43 EDT

I don't know Chris's, but you know my answer:
capital's self-valorisation depends on the
extraction of living labour from labour power,
relative to which workers are a mere human
appendage. But living labour is *their* activity,
as form-determined by capital: and the extension
and intensity is a result of class struggle. Most
of Marxian economists construct their arguments
after production has ended, including the
Sraffians (after the harvest, sometimes after
market outcomes): but this makes the Marxian
labour theory of value redundant, and reduces it
to Ricardo. It cancels the typical uncertainties
(in labour process, in the actualisation of value
etc.) of capitalism. Hence, capital valorizes
itself only as long as it 'incorporates' living
labour in it, and start to work as if by love
possessed. But this is always problematical
(hence, the 'negative'). This is the meaning of
capital making 'labour' an 'internal other'. The
Grundrisse are very interesting because of the
stress throughout on the dialectics
dead/objectified labour versus living
labour/labour in becoming: and this is paralleled
by the definition of abstract labour as the
living labour of the wage workers. A liability,
though, is that the Grundrisse, as most Marxisms,
speak of 'labour' referring to too many things:
objectified labour, living labour, labour power,
the living bearer of the latter, etc. This
ambiguity will disappear in the most mature
works. If this is right, the real ground of the
connection between labour and value through money
is through the referring back of the new value to
living labour as expressed in money. But this
requires a different (or, say, a more developed)
theory of money than what we find not only in the
Grundrisse but also in Capital.

rb

--
Riccardo Bellofiore