RE: [OPE] A conference on the Grundrisse at the University of Bergamo, July 2008

From: Riccardo Bellofiore (riccardo.bellofiore@unibg.it)
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 09:43:28 EDT

Notes towards self-criticism ...

One thing was of course too quick: the
appellative Ricardian is reasonable for those
approaches who does NOT construct their argument
after market outcomes, but only after the
harvest, giving for granted the actualization of
value, or holding to some gravitational argument
defining socially necessary labour time only in
production. Hence, the usual dichotomy
substantialit or circulationist views of value

But the real self-criticism is that, after having
criticized the generic use of labour, living
labour etc., I did it myself - quod erat
demonstrandum. This will happen again and again.
In fact, capital has to incorporate workers,
hence their labour power, then 'exploiting' it
(i.e., using it). But, as Marx would say, once
this is clear, one could use the term labour for
short.

The point is that in my view especially the
Grundrisse were instrumental in allowing some
Marxists (take workerism: Tronti, Negri etc.) to
talk of living labour in a very muddled way, so
that it became a kind of mystical catehory. Which
is a pity: because Tronti's distinction between
labour power and class struggle alluded to
something important, and Negri's reading of
Marxian crisis gtheory in the Grundrisse is far
from banal.

riccardo

ps: I know that somebody will ask clarifications,
but for these I have to ask to be patient, and
wait for the paper ...