RE: [OPE] Cyril Smith's death and life

From: Gary Mongiovi (MONGIOVG@stjohns.edu)
Date: Fri May 16 2008 - 08:42:44 EDT

About 20 years ago my path crossed Cyril Smith's at the LSE. I was there to use the Library and visit the Economists'Bookshop, and somehow he & I struck up a conversation about Sraffa & Marx. He invited me to a seminar he was holding that day on "Neo-Ricardianism" and Marx. He and the other participants, a small group, were clearly unsympathetic to Sraffa, so I was there holding up the side. That was my only encounter with him and I am unfamiliar with his life & work, but I have a warm memory of a decent, gracious, intelligent man who relished serious debate.

Gary