RE: [OPE] Chris Harman on the spectre of Keynesianism

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 03:10:53 EDT

> I agree to some extent with this. However, for the prediction of short-term trends, a lot of theory is often unnecessary - just a careful study of
> empirical trends is often sufficient. But Keynesian theorists failed spectacularly even in forecasting shortterm trends.

Hi Jurriaan:

Who - if anyone - has a better record?

Journalists, business economists, and economists employed by states and unions (whatever their theoretical perspective) have a record, I
think, which is even worse (due in part, to an inherent bias).

Marxian economists don't have a stellar record on this either.

> . In my experience, Marxists often assumed that Marx's economic theory has a direct and immediate empirical relevance, when it only
> described the essence of phenomena, and this results in confusing short-term and long-term tendencies.

Right. There's often a fallacy that is applied to the examination of concrete
questions - that the answers to those questions can be deduced directly
from abstract theory. In a way, that's an example of  the fallacy of division.