RE: [OPE] UNASUR

From: GERALD LEVY (gerald_a_levy@msn.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 09:05:48 EDT

> This was pretty much sorted out last year.> In April 2007, 10 LA states (ex Peru and Uruguay) chose the name which will > elect a permanent Executive secretary with its HQ located in Quito, Ecuador.>

Hi Paul B;

Yes, that's true. What remains to be sorted out is the extent to which there
will be economic integration among the individual nations.  And, of course,
the solidarity of member nations to the joint effort  will have to be worked out
and tested in practice. I would anticipate that individual member nations will
come under a lot of pressure from institutions and governments in the 'North'.
Time will tell.