[OPE] UNASUR

From: Gerald Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@msn.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2008 - 08:51:02 EDT

"The countries that make up UNASUR are Venezuela, Colombia,
Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Chile, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru,
Surinam, and Uruguay, encompassing a total population of 380 million
inhabitants."

+++

"South American Nations Form New Regional Grouping: UNASUR"

 May 24th 2008, by James Suggett - Venezuelanalysis.com

Mérida, May 24, 2008 (venezuelanalysis.com)-- At a summit in
Brasilia, Brazil, on Friday, 12 South American countries formally
constituted the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR), a regional
integration initiative which began informally in 2004. At the Summit,
Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez and Colombian President Álvaro Uribe
shook hands respectfully, and Colombia remained the only country
which declined to participate in the proposed South American Defense
Council.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez described UNASUR as the culmination
of the region's search for unity since South American independence
two centuries ago. "Only in unity will we later have, progressively,
complete political, economic, cultural, scientific, technological,
and military independence," Chávez commented.
[...]
The temporary president of UNASUR, Chilean President Michelle
Bachelet, said the new grouping will help the region "contribute to
the construction of this new 21st century, where Latin America is
capable of having a strong and firm voice because we have been able
to initiate a process of effective integration."

Bachelet highlighted the potential for UNASUR to promote economic and
social development in the region. At the top of the organization's
agenda should be combating poverty, eradicating illiteracy, and
coordinating university programs so as to facilitate the movement of
professionals throughout the region, she said. Also being
contemplated is a regional citizenship.

Having successfully formed UNASUR, "South America acquires the status
of global actor," said the President of Brazil, Luis Inacio "Lula" da
Silva.

Lula assured that UNASUR is open to other Latin American countries in
the region, and the foundational treaty signed Friday should not be
perceived as "a finality."

"Our Caribbean neighbors are invited to associate themselves with the
union. UNASUR is born in this way, open to the entire region in the
spirit of diversity and pluralism," said the Brazilian president.
[...]
Lula also emphasized his administration's proposal to create a South
American Defense Council "founded on common values and principles
such as respect for sovereignty, self-determination, territorial
integrity of states, and non-intervention in internal affairs."

Such a council will help UNASUR members "deepen our South American
identity in the area of defense," Lula said, assuring that "our armed
forces are committed to the construction of peace."

The presidents at the summit agreed to form a commission that will
come up with a proposal for the defense council within 90 days. The
countries will then meet sometime in the second half of this year to
officially form the council.

<http://www.venezuelanalysis.com/news/3488>