[OPE] The role of the individual in history: why did Frederic Mishkin quit the Fed?

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@tiscali.nl)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 08:20:24 EDT

Well thanks for the comment, I intended my question a bit humorously as a quip, sorry if it came out wrong. I'm not trying to be sexist, misogynistic or offensive to moralistic sensibilities or anything like that. Seriously, probably all over the world, people who resign from political positions may find themselves in a situation where they cannot, or not fully, say why they resigned - I would  think that this is not a specifically American practice, and it was not this which surprised me, from a European perspective. What surprised me most of all, was just that if somebody is appointed longterm to a highly responsible position like that, in an area of work on which a lot of public attention has been focused the last half year, fairly abruptly quits his position, that there is almost no investigative journalism about it. I can hardly believe that Mr Mishkin "simply felt like returning to teaching", there must have been more to it, and that's significant for economic analysts especially. One thing I appreciate in his writings, is that they are usually very clear and not difficult to follow - regrettably I cannot say the same for many other economic thinkers. That is certainly a communicative achievement.

Jurriaan