RE: [OPE] Question to Marxologists: Mode of production

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@lagcc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 08:07:24 EDT

> But one should not think that there is a one to one correpondance here. A given
> configuration of the forces of production may be compatible with more than one
> mode of production, though not with all possible modes of production.

Hi Paul C:

The specific configuration of the forces of production can only be grasped
when put in the context of specific social relations. That is, the forces of
production are historically produced,  reproduced, and *shaped* by the
class relations which prevail in a given social formation. So, I do't think
it's the case that a given configuration of the forces of production are
compatible with more than one mode of production. It's, of course,
the case that as a new mode emerges it "inherits" the forces of production
of the previous mode but - from the moment of its birth - the new relations
of production alter the shape and characteristics of the forces of production.
This, though, becomes more complex when we realize that within a given social
formation where one mode of production prevails, there are "remnants"
of other modes of production and there is often a complicated way in
which these sectors relate and are inter-dependent.