RE: [OPE] Question to Marxologists: Mode of production

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 02:50:25 EDT

I said that mechanised agriculture and industry would not have occured
with slavery, but that hand cultivation of cotton was compatible with
both slavery and sharecropping ( which is analogous to a form of feudalism )

I said that mechanised cotton production was compatible with capitalist
farms or state farms. The only difference you can bring out is whether
in Kazakstan the tractors had keys or not, which from the standpoint
of productivity is trivial

Paul Cockshott
Dept of Computing Science
University of Glasgow