RE: [OPE] Question to Marxologists: Mode of production

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 16:31:11 EDT

> From this follows that what existed in the Soviet Union was a distinct > mode of production.

Hi Dave:

No, that doesn't necessarily follow: one could, for example, conceive
of the USSR as a "transitional" economy where elements of different
modes of production were in contention. It was certainly a distinct
social formation, but that doesn't mean that it represented a new
(or old) mode of production. But, I guess that gets us into the
distinction between mode of production and social formation.