Re: [OPE] Question to Marxologists: Mode of production

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 06:00:13 EDT

Dave Zachariah wrote:
> on 2008-08-30 20:42 Paul Cockshott wrote:
>> I think that to make progress here one has to work with some sort
>> of probabalistic process algebra. I have not done any work on these
>> algebras since the early 90s, but since then I believe that one LOTOS
>> has become quite well accepted.
>>
>> EWssentially we have linked markov processes and have to conceptualise
>> the linkages between them and how these affect transition probabilities
>> or fluxes.
>>

> I don't know how the LOTOS algebra looks but the idea is appealing. I
> was simply thinking in terms of a transition matrix for the different
> configurations of forces of production and that different modes of
> productions would have different transition matrices.

I think that matrices which encode flow probabilities would do, you
might have to do the standard QM tricks with amplitudes of flows to get
things to work out correctly, but you would probably also need tensors
rather than just matrices since you have a basis vector that is the
cross product of modes of production and forces of production
configurations. If there are n modes of production and F configurations
of forces of production the operator or matrix T has to have the type
T:((n x F) -> (n x F)) where x is read as cartesian product.