Women and OPE-L Re: [OPE] Happy Birthday, OPE-L!

From: Howard Engelskirchen <howarde@iastate.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 08:17:34 EDT

Many thanks to Jerry for providing the update on OPE-L. I am
concerned that I can recall none of the 2800 posts that were by
women. No doubt I missed some. Also I suspect very few women are
among the 95 subscribers, though I don't know the actual figures. On
that score we can claim an age well beyond our calendar years -- we
resemble nothing so much as a conversation among very very old
leftists. I do recall two interesting posts forwarded to the list
over the last two years by two Italian marxist women and wonder
whether invitations have been extended to them or persons like
them. The list needs affirmative action. Also it may very well be
that it takes a critical mass for women to participate comfortably
and often. One or two additions may not have any effect.

In solidarity,

Howard