[OPE] Venezuela: Rights Suffer Under Chávez

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 04:42:31 EDT

"The 230-page report, “A Decade Under Chávez: Political Intolerance and Lost Opportunities for Advancing Human Rights in Venezuela,”examines the impact of the Chávez presidency on institutions that are essential for ensuring respect for human rights and the rule of law: the courts, the media, organized labor, and civil society."   Venezuela: Rights Suffer Under Chávez http://hrw.org/english/docs/2008/09/18/venezu19844.htm   What’s happening in Venezuela is worrying. The director of Human Right Watch was expelled from Venezuela. I suppose this report is the reason. But a democratic government should not act like this concerning criticism.   Recently some political leaders of the opposition were banned for participating in the next election based on corruption charges. But this seems to be a stratagem of Chávez. We did not see this even during the guerrilla back to the 1960’s.   A. Agafonow