RE: [OPE] Constant returns to scale - IRS

From: Michael Williams <michael.williams.j@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 08 2008 - 14:17:27 EDT

I cannot give you a specific dynamic model, since I do not do dynamic
modelling.

I am merely exploring the difference, if any, between orthodox modelling
processes (Samuelson's successive approximations for example) and
Hegelian-Marxist notions of abstraction and concretisation. A starting point
is that neither of these methods assumes that the actual economy exhibits
unmediated the abstract processes. The use of comparative statics does not
assume that actual markets move unmediated from one stable equilibrium to
another; such changes are indeed mediated by dynamic processes that will in
general mean that there is no stable 'target' equilibrium towards which
markets continually move. It's no rocket science; but it's not 'magic'
either.

The income effect is not an axiom, it is the result of a deduction from such
posits as economic rationality, adequate information and so on.

If comparative statics is a successful axis of abstraction, then it helps us
to identify economic forces that will still operate in the actual concrete.

If it is not, in some or all cases in which it is used, then it needs to be
criticized on that basis, not merely dismissed as 'magic' etc.

If you give me a specific dynamic model of how markets work, I dare say I
could investigate this methodological issue using it as an exemplar.

michael

Dr Michael Williams, BA, MSc, PhD

Mob +447906172655

Home tel +4423 80768641

P Help save paper - Do you need to print this email?