Re: [OPE] Anitra Nelson, "Fictitious Capital and Real Compacts"

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 15:48:30 EDT

on 2008-10-15 22:19 Ian Wright wrote:
> It worries me that "the earth" comes before "people" in this list. The
> earth should not be cared for, it should be mastered. That mastery
> includes of course, making it a habitable place in perpetuity. The
> environment is an object, not a subject.

Indeed, this goes against an anthropocentric moral. I believe this is
the reason why the European-style Green Parties can never become a mass
movement. There seems to be an underlying assumption that by
conservation the environment can 'return' to some sort of stable
equilibrium. An utter fantasy if one looks at the geological record.

//Dave Z