Re: [OPE] Alain Badiou, "Of Which Real is this Crisis the Spectacle?"

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 22:26:45 EDT

Badiou is right to criticize the term 'real economy'; we should instead use
categories such as production, circulation, consumption - all of which
correspond to something real. But by the same token he is wrong to describe
the crisis as a movie and people as an audience. An audience never gets hurt
by the onscreen train rushing at them. Only intellectuals in safe armchairs
can forget this difference and talk endlessly about the 'spectacle'.

Paula