[OPE] Internationalism

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Sat Oct 25 2008 - 17:33:27 EDT

on 2008-10-25 23:14 GERALD LEVY wrote:
> I do not agree that internationalism
> can "only" evolve in the direction of a mono-language.

I did not claim that. I wrote a *common* language not a mono-language. A
global culture cannot evolve without a common language. It is just as
with national culture and national languages, a plain fact of human
communication in everyday life. Global mass culture today is vindicating
that.

> Also, internationalism
> can not be reduced to the question of language. My concept of
> internationalism includes a concept of *autonomy* (and with it, different
> cultures, customs, etc.).

Modern India serves as an example of precisely this.

> btw, the spread of the English language was not a "historical
> accident" (!);
> it was a consequence of colonialism and imperialism (of course, the same
> could also be said about the spread of Spanish, Portuguese, etc.).

By "historical accident" I meant precisely that it could have been any
of the other languages dominant among the European imperial powers.

//Dave Z