[OPE] Studs Terkel died, and lives on

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@tiscali.nl>
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 20:50:50 EDT

In "Talking to Myself: A Memoir of My Times," Mr. Terkel took on his toughest interview, and many critics found the book frustrating for its refusal to delve too deeply into its author's personal life and feelings. Mr. Terkel acknowledged the justice of the complaint. "I've met hundreds, no, I've met thousands of interesting people, and I've been so caught up with them and facinated by them and intrigued with them it's almost like there's no room inside me to be interested in my own feelings and thoughts," he told an interviewer. It may be the one time in his life that Mr. Terkel's ruling passion failed him. "I don't have to stay curious, I am curious, about all of it, all the time," he once said. " 'Curiosity never killed this cat - that's what I'd like as my epitaph." http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/01/books/01terkel.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

I'll remember him - he ventured where very few economists dared to go.

J.