Re: [OPE] defining 'recession'

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 11:01:44 EST

> A concept like GDP tells us little about income distribution, and depending on whether you are rich or poor,
> the concepts do not have the same meaning or implications.

Hi Jurriaan:

That's true, but the alternative measure which Paul A asked about - GDP/capita - also tells us little,
if anything, about income distribution.

> Marx remarked that the ultimate barrier to capital was capital itself. It is not that the resources are not there,
> but that they cannot be bought or sold.

I don't think that's what Marx was referring to what he wrote that "the *true barrier* to capitalist production
is *capital itself*" (Volume III, Ch. 15, Section 2, Penguin ed., p. 358, emphasis in original).

In solidarity, Jerry