Re: [OPE] defining 'recession'

From: Paul Adler <padler@usc.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 12:17:49 EST

These are important issues you both raise about the utility of GDP. However, I was asking a much more elementary question: insofar as officialdom uses GDP as an output measure, would we not get a somewhat more realistic picture of cycles if GDP were deflated by population growth? Would not the duration of officially declared recessions be extended?

A simple change like this would hardly mobilize millions :-), but wouldn't it give more ammunition to those, like us, who argue that the anarchy iof the market and the associated capitalist cycles impose inacceptable social/economic costs? Right now, the historical charts show just tiny slivers of time in recession compared to long periods of GDP growth.

Paul A.