RE: [OPE] Special TV report on Venezuela

From: Michael Williams <michael.williams.j@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 07 2008 - 17:35:30 EST

“a bit of class instinct”: sorry, what is this?

It seems obvious to me that what the report is saying is that in the face of the achievements of the Chavez regime, any opposition will have to offer a candidate with substance, not just ‘presentation’ (implied: like the last candidate who was beautiful but lacking in substance).

“If the report was really a bit friendly to Chavez it would have perhaps concluded by an assertion how to stabilise and improve people's power in Venezuela.”

Maybe the reporter didn’t think that was his place to offer advice on how to entrench Chavez power? Why should he. You appear to be re-enforcing my assertion that a reporter is for you only worth listening to if they appear to agree with your line. In which case, you will only take seriously partisan reports within your particular salami slice of left politics, which will set you up nicely to become in due course a mindless apparatchik carrying out whatever in the name of some outcome which is unachievable without robust scepticism about all those who wield power.

I reject the notion that I am either for everything the Chavez regime does or I am for the opposition. I am for some things Chavez is attempting, against others and undecided about yet others. Doesn’t it give you pause for thought that your phraseology mirrors closely that of various war-mongering US presidents claiming that if you are not with us you are against us … and off to Gitmo with you?

It is not a question of impartiality in class struggle: only a very few BBC reporters see class struggle as a real phenomenon; and I am concerned with SUCCESSFUL class struggle on behalf of the wretched of this earth. This is a hard, detailed, ongoing task. One which I can no longer see as aided by my participation in a forum in which the few remaining active members seem to know the outcome of a discussion before it is even started.

So (Jerry) I’m outta here. Please unsubscribe me.

Michael W