Re: [OPE] The New School Occupation

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 10:06:32 EST

Alejandro:

It's not _just_ a matter of dissatisfaction with the current NSU administration
- as the following makes clear. If you look at the link to the Radical Student Union, a lot
of the demands concern student rights. Bob Kerrey (a former US Senator and Governor
from Nebraska and - according to many - war criminal during the Vietnam War) has
always been unpopular with a large proportion of students and faculty. But, as the following
makes clear, this struggle is very self-consciously connected to other ones internationally.
It's worthwhile noting in this regard that a large proportion of NSU (formerly, New School
for Social Research) students have always been international students and there is a long
history there of student political activism.

In solidarity, Jerry-------------------------------------------------------------------------- We have just occupied New School University . We liberate this space for ourselves, and all those who want to join us, for our general autonomous use. We take the university in explicit solidarity with those occupying the universities and streets in Greece , Italy , France and Spain . This occupation begins as a response to specific conditions at the New School , the corporatization of the university and the impoverishment of education in general. However, it is not just this university but also New York City that is in crisis: in the next several months, thousands of us will be losing our jobs, while housing remains unaffordable and unavailable to many and the cost of living skyrockets. So we stress that the general nature of these intolerable conditions exists across the spectrum of capitalist existence, in our universities and our cities, in all of our social relations. For this reason, what begins tonight at the New School cannot, and should not, be contained here. Thus: with this occupation, we inaugurate a wave of occupations in New York City and the United States , a coming wave of occupations, blockades, and strikes in this time of crisis. Be assured, this is only the beginning, With solidarity and love from New York to Greece , To Italy , France and Spain , To the coming insurrection.