Re: [OPE] German politics (was A profit squeeze in Germany? Astudyinpunk economics)

From: paul bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 12:50:16 EST

Paula, Jurriaan,

I think I sent this to Jurriaan before but can't be sure he received it. It should be of interest to you in the area of some services.

The debate on the role of services as commodities really began in the 1970's. In fact Marx in Ch 1 Vol 2 Marx gives all the clues necessary to deal with the issue of services sold as commodities, but not having Smiths 'material' nature. By after 1875 Marx clearly reciognised that services like transport, and as he says 'communuications' had become economically important in a way that dates his earlier comments of their relative insignificance of services.

One shouldn't be backtracking along the 'material' nature of commodities in the way Rubin continued to do.

Paul B.