[OPE] Heterodox PhD program

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 06:21:56 EST

Have you ever discussed the possibility of launching an international PhD program co-hosted by several department of OPE’s members?   I don’t know if there is the necessary “critical mass” in some departments currently hosting OPE’s members, but connected to our discussion about where to study heterodox Political Economy and Economics some moth ago, maybe it’s time to explore the possibility of organizing an international program of this sort.   Unfortunately, heterodox social scientists tend to be in minority in their departments, if not outside academia. But the current communication technologies are an advantage that could be useful to gather together this dispersed scholarship in a rather formal way.   There is on the web a lit of allegedly Heterodox programs in Economics, but I doubt that some of these programs are really heterodox. Only the Austrian School has managed to be in majority in few departments offering this kind of program, unfortunately with his characteristic hostility toward egalitarianism and any kind of progressivism.   Of course, another thing is the professional future of a graduate coming from this program. They could be seen as the corrupted product of a partisan initiative. How can this be avoided?   Regards,A. Agafonow