Re: [OPE] "Parasitism"

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 12:27:52 EST

Ian:

I was in agreement with your response to Paula until this last sentence:

> Plus the political result is downgrading a section of the working class
> to the category of "unproductive".

While often (mis-) framed in this way, the question of productive
and unproductive labor is not a question of 'downgrading' any
part of the working class. The issue is - and should - concern the
production of surplus value and its consequences for the
accumulation of capital. Politically, the question should be whether
a group is part the working class or not: unproductive
laborers are just as much a part of the working class as productive
laborers. What is needed politically is unity within the working
class - and that includes unity of wage workers who are productive of
surplus value, wage workers employed by capital who are unproductive
od surplus value, wage workers employed by the state, and workers who
are part of the IRA. Capital itself has created these divisions, we should
not make this into a virtue: after all, it is no virtue to be exploited, is
it?