[OPE] Odyssey and the Peruvian treasure

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@tiscali.nl>
Date: Wed Feb 18 2009 - 16:02:35 EST

Dave Z. - yes I have those sources and that argument, but I have to write it
up yet as a paper. Life is a war, and if you lose the war, a lot of writing
and researching time gets wrecked, believe me.

I do admire Rubin a lot and learnt a lot from him. I think we should publish
more of his work. But on some theoretical issues I do not think Rubin is
correct. Abstract labor is one of them.

Rubin makes it quite clear himself that he cannot really reconcile his idea
that abstract labour "arises out of" commodity exchange, with his idea that
abstract labour "exists prior" to exchange.

To solve that contradiction, he starts to talk about dialectics, but this
does not really resolve anything.

Value-form theory sounds sexy, but in practice it is more a philosophical
"painting with words" rather than a scientific theory.

Behind the controversy about abstract labour is a conflict of opinions about
what markets are, how they emerge, and how they function.

Jurriaan