Re: [OPE] "Parasitism"

From: ROY GRIEVE <roygrieve@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 07:32:01 EST

Paul (19/02/09) suggested that "some of the formulations of productive labour coming up in the [current] debate" may not be particularly helpful in arriving at a relevant way of identifying  applications of labour which are in some significant way especially valuable to the community.

As Paul points out, Adam Smith was attempting to distinguish between labour which he understood to be making a positive contribution to the growth potential of the economy, and labour which diverted resources away from accumulation and expansion of the economy to other (though not necessarily trivial or useless) applications. Smith however got himself into some difficulty in attempting to make clear just what he meant by 'productive labour' - instead of  being content with an explanation in general terms of what he saw as the strategic role of productive labour, he got himself bogged down in attempting to devise precise criteria by which activities could be classified as productive or unproductive. The resulting inconsistencies and ambiguities served only to bamboozle subsequent generations. I think we should take the point that narrow, 'mechanical' definitions of productive labour - in terms of the durability or materiality or vendibility of
 the product, or profitability of the operation - are always likely to pose conundrums;  it may be more rewarding to assess (while taking into account the particular circumstances) an activity in terms of a broader (fundamental) criterion. For  instance, in the Smith context of economic progress, labour might be deemed productive if the activity on which it is engaged - never mind whether the product is a physical commodity or a service, or indeed whether the activity yields surplus value to a capitalist employer or not - makes a necessary contribution to the maintenance and growth of the productive capabilities of the economy.

Slainte mhath!

Roy