Re: [OPE] "Parasitism"

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 10:41:49 EST

GERALD LEVY wrote:
> > An increase in the intensity of labour is, I would have thought,
> > absolute surplus value since it is equivalent to a lengthening of
> the working day.
>

> Paul C;
>

> I don't think so: it means a decrease in that fraction of the working day
> (with the length of the working day constant) required for necessary
> labor time
> and hence represents an increase in surplus labor time.
 Well the decreasing fraction of the working day being necessary
argument would apply to
lengthening the working day too. So if you go on this way you efface the
distinction
between relative and absolute surplus value. Relative surplus value
involves technological
changes that reduce the labour required to produce things. The was a
difference between the
slave driver's whip and Compton's Mule.