Re: [OPE] "Parasitism"

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Feb 25 2009 - 11:00:39 EST

> Well the decreasing fraction of the working day being necessary argument
> would apply to
> lengthening the working day too. So if you go on this way you efface the
> distinction
> between relative and absolute surplus value. Relative surplus value
> involves technological
> changes that reduce the labour required to produce things. The was a
> difference between the
> slave driver's whip and Compton's Mule.

Paul C:

Yes, of course, there was a difference. I didn't suggest that increasing
relative surplus value via technological change is _the same as_ increasing
relative s by increasing the intensity of labor. But, you can have an
increase
in absolute s when necessary labor time *stays the same*. With relative
s, necessary labor time goes down. Expressing it somewhat differently,
with relative surplus value, there is an increase in output/worker/hr
(productivity); with an increase in absolute s, you don't see this.