RE: [OPE] Venezuela is the most democratic country in Latin America

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2009 - 11:29:16 EST

> the 'democratic'
> issues involved are not so clear to me as to some on this list who claim
> that limited terms are undemocratic by nature.

Paul Z:

No one on the list - that I can recall - made that claim.

The claim, rather, is that term limits are not inherently more

democratic and that whether one should advocate term limits

or not depends on (historical, class, and other) *context*.

We must recognize that there are inherent limitations of

*bourgeois* democracy but should not simply accept those

constitutional (and other) limitations. For example, factory

takeovers by workers and land seizures by landless peasants

and squatting are in most cases "illegal" but we should (in just

about all cases) support them. So are student occupations

(witness what happened to NYU students recently) and sit-down

strikes, but we should not allow demands for "law

and order" ( a traditional right-wing demand) to trump what

is desirable and necessary from a working-class perspective.

The working people should rule, not merely a piece of paper

written by those who sought to legitimize bourgeois rule and

exploitation.