Re: [OPE] Venezuela is the most democratic country in Latin America

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Thu Mar 05 2009 - 02:18:15 EST

Jerry and Zachariah, as I pointed out before in this list, you are demanding to have precise information about what exactly constitutes the wealth of Chávez family (how many TV-cable connections, feather beds and peaces of gold-made cutlery Castro has). But since these regimes are **unaccountable**, nobody knows with certainty, except for the show off of this wealthy accumulated in the native region of Chávez during the government of his father.   An originally poor family like this never would pass a serious inspection of the treasury office. Unfortunately, we don’t have anymore an independent treasury authority –which maybe we lost before Chávez.   Since you –at least Jerry so far– are willing to make impressive concessions to these regimes for the sake of the fight against imperialism, I can not blame you because of ingenuity. So this leaves me with only one conclusion: **double standards**.   The question is how your **critical attitude** is able to leave out this unaccountability, and still to sustain that the privileges of Chávez, his family and his close collaborators, do not exist.   Have you ever lived a reasonable time in Venezuela? Do you at least take a look at critical media? Only you in a sort of strategic manoeuvre try to deny this, falling in the contradiction that I pointed out.  A. Agafonow ________________________________ De: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se> Para: Outline on Political Economy mailing list <ope@lists.csuchico.edu> Enviado: miércoles, 4 de marzo, 2009 20:29:53 Asunto: Re: [OPE] Venezuela is the most democratic country in Latin America Alejandro Agafonow wrote: > > Jerry, the reports with images are very common in media. The last one was in El País, where the mother of Chávez appeared sumptuously dressed. > Alejandro, I do not find this very credible nor a convincing analysis of anything. If you are suggesting that people around Chavez are amassing wealth I would not find it surprising given that the Venezuelan state is a sort of oil rentier. Corruption among state officials can easily grow out of hand. However, such claims would require some data to back up rather than this speculative gossip you gave above. //Dave Z _______________________________________________ ope mailing list ope@lists.csuchico.edu https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/ope