RE: [OPE] language, science, and etymology

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 09:20:38 EDT

> Ordinary language conveys many outdated and inaccurate ideas.

Paul C:

Sometimes that's the case, but generally specific words and expressions
have commonly accepted meaning(s) within a particular culture and
profession. As we've seen in our discussions on value, that's not always
the case. What is most important from a scientific communications
perspectivde is that one has agreement on the current meaning of a term
or at least current differences in meaning, not its original meaning.
That is often a difficult ideal to attain since language arises and is
transformed by specific social relations (including class, race, nationality,
gender, etc.).

> Science follows a methodological materialism, it seeks to understand
> phenomena as a result of natural material causes.

Isn't Etymology a science?

You pointed earlier to the origins of the word "spirit", but a scientific
approach is not simply to identify the original meaning of a term and to
then reject the use of the term if the original meaning is unscientific and
out-dated. Rather, a scientific approach is to examine the ways in which language
has changed during different time periods in different cultures and
sub-cultures. Hence, while it's perfectly legitimate (and, sometimes, entertaining)
to examine the original use of a term, it's *outdated and unscientific*
to simply reject that term because its meaning has evolved over time.