Re: [OPE] Spirit and self

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 18:43:07 EDT

Paul Cockshott wrote:
> It is not a matter of a philosophical rant here, but a review by somebody familiar with the field of cognitive neuroscience
> who is saying that Metzingers rejection of the self is not only scientific old hat, but philosophical old hat - going back to the Buddha.
> It is also old had from a Marxist perspective too, Althusser was saying essentially the same thing in 'Lenin and Ideology', which
> I think is still one of the finest Marxian philosophical works on the topic.

I also think Althusser's essay on ideology is excellent. Göran Therborn
developed his ideas further in 'The Power of Ideology and the Ideology
of Power':

http://books.google.com/books?id=2W7UEJG9V1kC&dq=ideology+therborn&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=_Trqvgsi8f&sig=m0yXtu5yrtmIC524RF-LouhMXPQ#PPA2,M1

//Dave Z