[OPE] Mattick and London

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 07:45:21 EDT

Jerry,

You are correct, there's a difference between life in academia and working life with an ordinary job, and it creates some specific differences in behavioural dispositions too. I think most of all, Mattick Sr articulated the moral conscience of Marxian communism, in an age of betrayal and treachery, like people such as Anton Pannekoek, Karl Korsch and Roman Rosdolsky. But actually, although Mattick is usually quite close to the spirit of Marx's text, there are also a number of faults in Mattick's theories, and that is one reason why I don't refer to him much. Personally I have a lot of interests I simply do not have sufficient time to pursue. To me, "being wealthy" often means "having the time to do the things you really want to do". Alas, that's a naive thought too.

Jurriaan