RE: [OPE] Brad DeLong, 'Understanding Marx"

From: Philip Dunn <hyl0morph@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 17:52:50 EDT

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:46 +0100, GERALD LEVY wrote:
> > I propose we develop a critique of use-value thinking.
>

> Hi Phil:
>
> While you're at it, you should also develop a critique of
> value independent of use-value thinking.
>
> In solidarity, Jerry_______________________________________________

I will stick to the critique of use value thinking, for the moment.

A capitalist buys a machine, uses it for several years, the scraps it.

How to theorise this?

The use-value, the machine is unchanged for those years. Call the
machine George. George lasts for those years, being 100% George all the
time.

However, the value of the commodity for which George is the material
bearer seeps away as it is transferred to the produced commodity.

Therefore value per unit of use-value is a variable quantity.

Simple stuff.