Re: [OPE] webpage computing dynamic rate of profit

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 08:32:21 EDT

2009/5/18 GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>

> Well, a demystified formula for the rate of profit from a Marxian
> perspective
> should include surplus value (S) and allow for S to be increased in ways
> other
> than just through increasing investment in (constant) capital stock. If V
> and
> S aren't included in the formula then it makes comparisons of the rate of
> profit to the organic composition of capital and the rate of exploitation
> more
> difficult: i.e. if you include c, v, and s in all three formulas then you
> shouldn't
> have a comparing apples and mangos type problem.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at. Initially you wanted to
computed the rate of profit with K + V in the denominator, where K is the
*stock* of constant capital, i.e. an integral.

I'm wondering what precisely you mean by V and how it is to be measured.

(It seems to me that you are mixing up the dimensions of the variables. The
flow rate of profit would be r = s/(c+v) where c and v are *flow* variables,
say, the constant capital and wage-payments *per annum*.)
//Dave Z