Re: [OPE] One party state?

From: Ian Wright <wrighti@acm.org>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 13:27:52 EDT

> When defining bourgeois democracy simply as dictatorship, are you not Ian
> taking the risk of wiping out legitimately democratic institutions that can
> be found in these incomplete democracies?

I consider myself a radical democrat and anti-authoritarian. But I do
call a spade a spade. And the USA is a very good example of a merely
formal and very limited democracy embedded in a economic dictatorship
of one class over another.

I thought Jerry's response in this thread made this point very well.
Liberal celebrations of bourgeois democracy completely ignore the
class character of society and its foundation in economic
exploitation. And from what I have read they remain oddly silent on
the ubiquity of "little dictatorships" in capitalist firms.