[OPE] replacement cost and historical cost (again)

From: Ian Wright <wrighti@acm.org>
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 15:21:46 EDT

Quick question, which will help me in some current work. Very much
appreciate any answers.

(A) It seems to me that the only concept of (socially necessary)
labor-value that Marx uses in Capital is replacement cost; that is,
the SNLT of a commodity is the total labor required given current
production techniques. So the labor-embodied in a commodity is a
property of a commodity in the context of the current forces of
production.

(B) Some interpreters see another concept of SNLT; that is, the labor
embodied in a commodity is the labor that *was* expended to make it,
i.e. historical labor costs. So the labor-embodied in a commodity is a
property of the commodity, regardless of context.

Would it be controversial to state that Marx everywhere and always
meant (A) and not (B)?

Thanks,
-Ian.