Re: [OPE] replacement cost and historical cost (again)

From: Anders Ekeland <anders.ekeland@online.no>
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 16:42:37 EDT

Hi Ian,

I would say yes - that is controversial as a general rule. Because in
a non-static linear (= Marxian, realistic) model the fact is that
both A and B operates at the same time, efficient (mechanised,
automated, very low wages) products compete with less efficient (less
mechanised, less automated, high wage ...).

So "replacement cost" is not a well-defined entity when you have
multiple technologies and increasing returns to scale for most of
them. There will always be technological rents (super profits) - and
further innovation so that any equilibrium "long term" replacement
costs will never be found.

But since there is significant scale effects - often the replacement
costs will be the benchmark. But the labour that "was" (less
efficient or more efficient?) expended will of course try to get
socially recognized and get its "fair" remuneration in the market.
But but because capitalism revolutionizes the means of prod. - with
very, very significant increasing returns to scale and old computer
will not get a price covering the labour embedded - if it can be sold
at all, i.e. be recognised as socially necessary labour at all - very
often things have a very short life cycle from top product to garbage problem.

What is the dominant tendency depends on the actual context and
analytical problem.

Regards
Anders