[OPE] replacement cost and historical cost (again)

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 03:14:04 EDT

My understanding is that depreciation can be adjusted into the future by an
audit, if assets are revalued or devalued according to average current
market rates for scrapped, resold or new assets.

Thus an asset may turn out to be worth more or less than its historic cost
or the depreciated value based on historic cost, causing a change in the
write-off schedule.

As I have said before once I think, it is also necessary to distinguish
between depreciation in value terms, and depreciation in price terms.

Actual depreciation schedules used in price terms may vary from depreciation
schedules in value terms, since, in Marx's theory, movements in value and
movements in prices occur semi-autonomously of each other, such that price
fluctuations and fluctuations in labour input mutually adjust to each other,
across a certain time interval.

Jurriaan