Re: [OPE] replacement cost and historical cost (again)

From: Paul Bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 04:43:16 EDT

Jerry, thanks,

Yes that is the point I was making. We cannot simply see Marx's
statements/formulations as a series of concrete ( ie final as they actually
appear) steps, one interacting with or modifying the other. Rather he makes
a generalisation that is an abstraction from that day to day reality, but
captures its essence... ( that effort on his part being a 'great
discovery'), he then demonstrates how this 'essence' eventually comes to be
viewed by vulgar empricists/ the practical bourgeois / that operates on the
'surface' of the living world, by a series of modifications that take into
account the multiplicity of activity contained in the totality. In this way,
contrary to appearances, the law of value is shown nto continue to be the
central regulating force in human masterial activity despite the transition
from simpler commodity economies to the capitalist economy.

Thus in the case that is being discussed 'moving from B to A'.

Cheers

Paul