Re: [OPE] Valuation of knowledge

From: Michael Perelman <michael@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 06 2009 - 11:19:26 EST

The analysis by the two Pauls is not really contradictory. P.A. refers
us to the remarkable passage from the Grundrisse, in which Marx tells
us that the amount of direct labor time going into any commodity is
vanishingly small. Driving workers harder [read yesterday's
productivity report], does little to improve the productive process.
Instead, Marx suggests that the difference between the physical labor
process and scientific work should disappear.
Paul C. correctly tells us that individual creativity is insufficient
for many processes. The Grundrisse is not explicit when stressing
workers' scientific development here, but it is certainly consistent
with Marx to assume that their scientific development would be a
collective process.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department