[OPE] intermission: value of knowledge

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 13:23:19 EST

"Steal this idea" by Michael Perelman is a good, intelligent,
thought-provoking book. I didn't agree with it entirely, politically or
morally, but I gave a copy to Professor Hugh C. Lauder of the University of
Bath some years ago, with thanks for his British hospitality. Also gave him
a copy of Michael's Class Warfare in the Information Age. Later I regretted
it a bit actually as I want to ponder it again. But you can always get
another one somewhere. I am happier if they steal my ideas than if they
steal my stuff, as I need it in daily life. You can sorta have your whole
life inspected and ransacked by clone engineers, seems like, to the point
where you feel like Jesus hanging a bit too high up for the last rites. But
as long as you can still have a laugh it's OK, as ill-gotten gains usually
rebound on the taker anyway in the end. If you have been lucky in life, and
I have been, it's best to have an attitude of generosity in these things.
What I learnt in New Zealand was, that frequently a man just doesn't know
how lucky he is, it is only later that you wise up to that. Of course in the
end you also have to get an income from somewhere.

Jurriaan