RE: [OPE] intermission: value of knowledge

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 15:03:59 EST

> The cost will be high in 10 years when the format is obsolete

Hi Paul C:

The cost of transferring data with preservation labor, though,
does not correlate well with the value of the knowledge. My
guess is that the new preservation labor required will be vanishingly
small. Push a button (or click a mouse, etc.) and voila it's transferred.
Furthermore, since the cost of memory storage devices *per GB* is coming way
down - and I think this trend will continue - the material
cost of data storage and preservation will also come way down to the point
where (on a /GB rate) it will be vanishingly small also.

In solidarity, Jerry