Re: [OPE] Marta Harnecker's Ideas

From: <david@danyaf.plus.com>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 17:02:27 EST

Anders,

You are wrong about Marx and Engels on Ireland. Their work in the First
International on the Irish question was an important influence on Lenin's
writing on national liberation, on the issue of the peasantry in the
Russian revolution and Lenin's understanding of the essence of imperialism
viz the division of the world between oppressor and oppressed nations, and
the question of opportunism in the labour movement. For an assessment of
the importance of Marx and Engel's and Lenin's writings for
understanding the Irish revolution see Ireland the key to the British
revolution by David Reed. This is also a detailed account of the struggle
of the Irish people for self-determination in the 20th century. This was
published by Larkin Publications in 1984. It is out of print but there are
copies to be had through Amazon.

David Yaffe